Collecting Marketing Intelligence on the Internet
Here are five places to find competitors’ product strengths and weaknesses online.
- Independent customer goods and service review forums. Independent forums include Web sites such as Bizrate.com, collects millions of consumer reviews of stores and products each year.
- Distributor or sales agent feedback sites. Feedback sites offer positive and negative product or service reviews, but the stores or distributors have built the sites themselves.
- Combo sites offering customer reviews and expert opinions. Combination sites are concentrated in financial services and high-tech products that require professional knowledge.
- Customer complaint sites. Customer complaint forums are designed mainly for dissatisfied customers.
- Public blogs Tens of millions of blogs and social networks offer personal opinions, reviews, ratings, and recommendations on virtually any topic—and their numbers continue to grow.