Home | › Forums › Individual and Group Behavioral Theories Applied to the Workplace › Reply To: Individual and Group Behavioral Theories Applied to the Workplace
- MemberJanuary 8, 2022 at 7:22 pm
I am a consultant for Workplace Solutions Consulting. This role requires me to work at a client site or from home when not on travel, which has enabled me to balance life and work better. There’s more freedom, promoted my well-being, increased productivity, saved Workplace Solutions Consulting some money, and makes work more competitive.
Myers- Briggs indicator methodology is a self-report inventory designed to identify an individual’s strengths, personality types and preferences. According to Pratama et al. (2021), when working in a remote environment, the best code involves personality traits like introverted, intuition, thinking and judging (INTJ). INTJ works best for introverted people and spends a lot of time of their own, brought by either working on the client’s site or working remotely from home. Over time, I have preferred to work in solitude than with a team or in a group.
The balance between individuality and conformity can affect an individual in a team environment in several ways. Each employee has a unique way of doing their tasks while in a group. Every other person has different qualities that would lead to efficient working resulting in high productivity (Zhan et al., 2020). Still, it is important to know who is best at what and assign individuals based on what they could do best. Before I started working remotely, I worked with four people. Each one has had unique qualities, and during presentations, we would share out roles depending on what one does best. A person would make a presentation; another helped find data, another explained, and mostly I could manage the team. Conformity unifies the employees towards achieving a shared objective (Koohang et al., 2020). It directs the work in an organization into a working culture desired by the employers, and culture is passed onto new employees fast. The balance, therefore, outlines company standards and expectations of each employee, enabling organizations to have a uniform degree of work ensuring work is aimed at a common goal.
An appropriate structure leads to a successful team. Structures include functional, hierarchical, horizontal, divisional, matrix, team-based and network-based (Tangvald & Wallhoff, 2019). I feel the best structure for an as successful team is the functional one. If the management decides to departments into functional areas such as accounting or even marketing, there would be specialization among employees, operational clarity and operational speed is achieved.
A personality assessment model is an openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism (OCEAN). According to Chapman et al. (2020), OCEAN traits will be greatly impacted when strictly physical work environment. Openness to experience is encouraged as employees can easily consult their colleagues. Conscientiousness will see that managers entrust such employees with tasks since managers prefer goal-oriented people. Extraversion ensured there is social interaction with other people. Agreeableness increases job performance. Neuroticism will be easily detected in a physical working condition, and the employee is given enough guidance and counselling.
1. Pratama, A. P., Pritasari, A., Hidayanti, N., Tampubolon, M. N., & Mulyono, N. B. (2021). Personality types and managerial styles: a phenomenological approach. Journal of Management Development.
2. Zhan, L., Li, S., Lau, T. K., Cui, Y., Lu, X., Shi, M., … & Chen, H. (2020). Over 17% efficiency ternary organic solar cells enabled by two non-fullerene acceptors working in an alloy-like model. Energy & Environmental Science, 13(2), 635-645.
3. Koohang, A., Nowak, A., Paliszkiewicz, J., & Nord, J. H. (2020). Information security policy compliance: leadership, trust, role values, and awareness. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 60(1), 1-8.
4. Tangvald, M., & Wallhoff, E. (2019). Adopting a network-based organization (Master’s thesis).
- This reply was modified 9 months ago by Shasha Kummar.