- MemberDecember 25, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Being compassionate, empathy and open-minded to employees who bring unique experience and expertise to the table can only help my company. Following are the five steps that I would take to foster an inclusive organization
1. Treat everyone with respect. To embrace diversity is to treat everyone with respect. Focus on others before myself by building on their strengths and talents.
2. Promote empathy. The best way to embrace diversity in the workplace is to build my capacity to empathize with employees. In doing so, I would able to truly see the world from their perspective, which drops the barriers of separation and sets the foundation for a genuinely inclusive workplace culture.
3. Ask everyone for their perspective. Diversity is achieved when leaders open up to new ideas and different strategies pitched by any employee. Surrounding myself with or seeking out people of different genders, religions, race, work experience, political leanings, etc. and regularly asking them their opinions and input will lead to higher performance.
4. Spend time with employees of all levels. I encourage everyone to spend time with all levels of employees, including interns when applicable. We should seek diverse, fresh and divergent viewpoints, fostering new perspectives on the most complex issues and business problems.
5. Educate and empower everyone to understand diversity. Empower everyone to understand the value of diversity. A diverse workforce improves employee engagement, increases productivity and sparks fresh perspectives. We should not assume that our leadership teams are fully aware of the benefits of a diverse workforce or that they know how to engage and promote diversity. Providing data-backed education is essential to a long-term commitment.