Home | Forums MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age Reply To: MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age

• Maizatulziah Modin

November 23, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I understand that product differentiation is anything that the product appeal to me as a customer. That would be quality, brand, cost, and features. In this case of service differentiation, I always choose good customer service.
    When I want to buy something, I will go with my preferred brands first. It might relate to my knowledge that I have already know the quality, the features offered, and of course, the cost that I need to spend. Then I start to compare the service. Let say I want to buy a Luggage. My preference brands are always Tumi and Samsonite. In terms of quality, features, and cost, both brands satisfied my need. But when it comes to service, I prefer Tumi more. It is simply because Tumi has provided me with a good customer service experience for the past 15 years.

However, for a certain situation, I prefer to choose the service rather than the product. For example, a hotel. 5 stars hotels might have everything. The ambiance, nice room, nice food and everything that they claim for. I went to the Maldives once a year before the pandemic happens. It is just because I want to explore each of the islands there. Maldives has around 1192 islands which I cannot explore just in one visit. So back to the topic, when it comes to the hotels, I rather choose the service than a product or brand itself due to geographical. In this case, I always look for a boat service or seaplane that can connect me from the airport to the island based on my room book date and time. Some hotels will provide all together in their hotel service but some might require me to purchase separately which I don’t prefer due to time-consuming.

Some brands really excel to engrave their product and brands like Maggi (instant noodle), Colgate (toothpaste), or even Google. Their brands become generic terms used in daily life. I think Malaysia prefers to say “I want to eat Maggi tonight” rather than “I want to eat instant noodle tonight”. When it comes to searching on the internet, many people say “Let’s Google it” but they were actually using Safari. These names were brands or trademarks but often used to describe a product category. That’s how successful their invention is.