Home | Forums MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age Reply To: MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age

• Ida Farisha Binti Meor Alim Shah Shah

November 16, 2021 at 5:42 am

When it comes to marketing, I believe the company should first identify their type of products. As what we learned in our previous class regarding the Business Model discussion, there are 2 types of Business-to-Consumer business model:

1) Mass Market B2C – Organizations that sell products that appeal to a broad range of consumers at an affordable price

2) Niche B2C – A direct-to-consumer business that has a highly targeted products/service

And then secondly, the need to identify which marketing mediums they want to use. May it be broadcast, print, digital or social media.

I don’t believe mass marketing is dead or ineffective. Let me tell you why:

I believe for the first business model – the best marketing strategy for broadcast and print mediums is by Mass Marketing Strategy. Hence why most of our TV advertisements filled with businesses that are in this category. Just the other day my family bought that super spicy McDonalds chicken after seeing their ads couple of times on the TV ‘cuz come on who doesn’t like chicken right? And oh, it’s a bonus point if the ads have a catchy jingle or catchphrase like “Anda rasa saya ada masa untuk sakit kepala?” – best believe every time I have severe headache I will reach for Panadol. Btw, if you want to hear the remix, just click on this link. I bet it will give you more headache -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35YzHIY0Lqc. What I am trying to say is that mass marketing are still needed and effective.

But how many of us watch TV anymore? That is why some may argues that mass marketing is dead. So for digital and social media platform (either Mass Market B2C or Niche B2C), they need to use Targeted Marketing Strategy. Don’t lah target minors to promote Paracetamol or target Vegan for that McDonalds chicken ads. What’s the ads effectiveness in that? You are only wasting your ads budget. Although in this case, the Mass Market B2C ads are targeted ads, yet the audience reach is still massive compared to Niche B2C.

So until the broadcast or print mediums are made obsolete, we cannot yet say mass marketing is dead. Dying probably lah..

Just my 2 cents,

Ida F Shah