Home | Forums MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age Reply To: MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age

• Ida Farisha Binti Meor Alim Shah Shah

October 30, 2021 at 10:51 am

<div>Such an interesting question that makes me wonder. So which product that a single woman like me in her mid 30s who basically only have 2-3 hours idle time each day, is attracted to?

To answer this, the first thing I do is to check my phone applications usage and right on top of the list is actually TikTok (well, no surprise there). Anytime I need a break from work, I will reach out to my phone and open this app. From a video of a cat getting high on catnip to which cryptocurrency that will make me a millionaire in 2022 – this unlimited supply of video contents is the perfect break that I needed throughout the day. TikTok is no longer that cringe dance app for 12 years old but its diverse contents; especially the educational and life hacks videos that you can learn in less than 1 minute; is the perfect mental break for me. That dose of micro-entertainment and micro-learning I received while browsing this app does not make me feel like I am wasting my time mindlessly even when I am idle.

Tell me if you have heard this before – “Millennials have no blind brand loyalty”. It’s true. If the brand has done nothing for me or shows support in what I believe in; then why should I keep on supporting it. To me that brand is Secret Recipe, yes that famous restaurant chain. Growing up in a family with little to no disposable income, I only had my first bite of Secret Recipe cake at the age of 16 and my god, that moment right there is embedded in my mind till this day. But over the years, that quality premium cake they’ve once promised me, has been declining. Every time I purchased a slice of their cake, I feel betrayed. No more the taste of rich and velvety slice of heaven. And with the increase of more trendy café and home bakers around me; I no longer have the urge to satisfy my sweet tooth there. From less sweet cake to flourless keto cake to a small petite 4 inch cake where each of them is baked using premium ingredients at fraction of the price; Secret Recipe needs to wake up and step up. We are the generations where 40% of our expenditures goes to food [1], we have different needs, diet and lifestyle – so what have you done to earn our loyalty eyh?

Just my 2 cents,

Ida F Shah

[1] https://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/en/616631575645435287/pdf/Malaysia-Economic-Monitor-Making-Ends-Meet.pdf

</div>