Home | Forums MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age Reply To: MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age

• Pavala Malar Nadan A/L Mariappan .

October 28, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Being in a Gen X age range group, I would say Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) successfully speak to me.
    The significant reason is because its “sporty” looking feature compared to MPVs and also larger boot (cargo) space compared to Sedan cars. Just like most Malaysian, we prefer to travel with family and bigger capacity boot space is one of the main criteria we consider when buying a vehicle.

Besides that, with SUVs we get higher ride height and for the frequency of flash floods we get in Malaysia, it is a wiser and safer choice. [Ref 1] In addition, studies shows that SUV driver or passenger is at 50% more likely to survive accidents compared to Sedan. On the other hand, SUV too have better reselling value compared to MPVs and Sedans. In a nutshell, from my point of view, SUV is a vehicle (product) that featuring sporty looking, larger boot capacity, designed with practicality and safety in mind.

Now to dig deeper into the discussion in terms of the SUV brand, after considering the cost, practicality & safety feature, my preference is Mazda CX5. During my scouting and research before made the booking, I have test driven few SUVs and spoken with their salesperson. Mazda CX-5 salesperson ensures the seamless experience for me from test driving to placing booking till I get the vehicle key. So it is not surprising to say [Ref 2] Mazda CX-5 ranked 4th in the best-selling C-segment SUV in the world with 365,000 units sold in 2020.

Compared to its competitor Proton X70, even though it is slightly lower priced and equipped with somewhat similar feature as Mazda CX-5, Proton X70 or basically any Proton cars are known to consume higher fuel intake. Also, as we are aware Proton X70 manufactured based on China’s Geely Boyue. China market is still somewhat new in global automotive markets, so this made me to hesitate to put my hard earn ringgits into a brand that are not well established yet. Referring to the same article in Ref 2, Geely Bouyle (Proton X70) coming in at 11th with 190,000 units sold.

Perhaps if, the Proton salesperson confident and proud with his own company product Proton X-70, he would have managed to educate or convinced me to purchase Proton X-70. Proton should be looking seriously into provide adequate training to their salesperson on their products and customer relation (power of persuasion).

Reference [Ref 1] https://injurylawyersoftampa.com/whats-safer-in-an-accident-is-an-suv-safer-than-a-car-or-sedan/

Reference [Ref 2] https://www.wapcar.my/news/honda-crv-is-the-worlds-bestselling-suv-right-toyota-rav4-nope-31642