Home | Forums MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age Reply To: MBA Marketing Management in the Digital Age

• Ishwinder Singh

October 28, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Sneakers is a product that speaks well with me, in terms of brands I would say there are a few i.e., Nike, Converse, Adidas, Jordan’s etc. In terms of brand, I believe Nike takes the biggest piece of the cake. Nike is a brand that is considered to be no longer a conscious choice for certain group of people but an unconscious decision to purchase a pair of Nike shoes – whether or not for sports or fashion. Nike has played an active role in getting their brand out there in the public by sponsoring athletes, video games, sports event etc.

The brand Air Jordan, is considered a piece of investment because of its value on certain rare edition. For example, a single pair of Air Jordan 1 2016 would have a retail price of $160 in 2016, but in 2021 the same shoe is selling for $940. Many people will choose the purchase the brand for either two things – one is for investment and secondly for the culture it breeds.

Kotler defines that the power of brand is in what resides in the mind of the consumer. Nike transmit the image for passion for sport “Just Do It”. As a result, people do not buy Nike when they need a pair of shoes. This happens because those brands sell feelings, and emotions play powerful role in customers behaviour. Kotler also said, consumers do not just buy a product, but they buy experiences.

One thing Nike can improve in terms of their image is to not exploit workers in a foreign land to too much pressure and respect the tenets of Human Rights. I quote from a news article

‘The Qingdao Taekwang Shoes Co. turns out eight million pairs of Nikes per year. Its factory in the Chinese city of Laixi resembles any other sprawling production facility, apart from the six-foot high barbed wire fences that run along the perimeter walls, watchtowers standing sentry at various corners, and an in-house police station, replete with facial recognition technology, that also serves as a surveillance hub. The prison-style security is necessary to ensure that upon shift’s end, the Uyghurs working there return quickly to their segregated dormitories to prepare for mandatory patriotic re-education classes run by the Beijing government.
    If there are Nike Shox or Airmax in your house, they were most likely put together in this sinister place where several hundred employees are, essentially, prisoners. Over the past couple of years, Uyghurs were transported to this plant as part of a “forced labour” initiative, often as punishment for “crimes” such as growing a beard or participating in an Islamic fast. They must eat in a separate cafeteria to their Han Chinese counterparts, are permitted only to walk around the outskirts of the factory to purchase necessities at the market stalls perched there, and, crucially, are not allowed to return to their homeland of Xinjiang, 3,400 km away in the north-west of the country.’